Lola Ogunnaike reports on the ever changing world of celebrity sex tapes.
TWO years ago Red Light District, a little known video company in California, hit the jackpot when it landed distribution rights to the Paris Hilton sex tape, an explicit bedroom video shot by a former boyfriend. The DVD has sold some 600,000 copies, establishing Red Light District as the leading player in a lucrative niche of the pornography industry: a purveyor of explicit videos of famous people, sold to an eager public, often over the vehement objections of the participants. Ms. Hilton tried to stop distribution of the tape, although its notoriety paradoxically catapulted her to an even higher orbit of fame, establishing her as a kind of postmodern celebrity, leading to perfume deals, a memoir and the covers of Vanity Fair and W.
For its part Red Light District is hoping for a follow-up hit with a new celebrity sex tape featuring two rock stars, Kid Rock and Scott Stapp, who is the former front man of a Christian rock group, Creed. David Joseph, the president of Red Light, predicts he could sell 300,000 to 400,000 copies of the tape at $20 to $24 wholesale. “Everybody is going to want to see what these guys’ lives are really like when they’re on the road with the groupies,” he said.
But for now he can’t sell it. On Feb. 28 a federal judge ordered Red Light to shut down Web sites showing snippets of the film in response to a lawsuit brought by Kid Rock. “We believe that this tape was a private tape, improperly obtained,” said William H. Horton, Kid Rock’s lawyer, in an interview. “And we intend to keep it private.” He added, “We’re not hankering for a license agreement. We don’t want any money.” After two additional lawsuits were filed against Red Light last week â€” by Mr. Stapp and a woman appearing on the tape, which shows the two stars receiving oral sex in a motor home after a concert in 1999 â€” Red Light says it will not press its case in the courts, but will try to negotiate with those featured in the tape for the rights to sell it.
Whatever the resolution of this conflict, gone are the days when a sex tape â€” which might seem the most embarrassing of disclosures â€” automatically destroys a celebrity’s career. Although the actor Rob Lowe became a pariah in Hollywood in the 1980′s when he taped himself having sex with two women, one a minor, amateur sex tapes today seem to juice up careers, at least for celebrities who already have a certain cheese factor. Besides Ms. Hilton, there is Pamela Anderson, whose fame as a B-list actress and tabloid favorite seemed to accelerate when an explicit tape of her having sex with her husband, the rocker Tommy Lee, was shown on the Internet in 1997, despite the couple’s attempts to suppress it in court.
In late 2004 a former pro wrestling star named Chyna Doll and her husband actually approached Red Light District to distribute their amateur sex tape. More than 100,000 copies have sold, the company says, with its stars sharing the profits. Chyna Doll, whose real name is Joanne Laurer, got a career boost after the DVD’s release when she was cast on the popular VH1 reality show “The Surreal Life.”
Joe Levy, the executive editor of Rolling Stone, which covered the brouhaha over the Rob Lowe tape in the 80′s, said, “The huge difference between nearly 20 years ago and now is that pornography is more easily available, therefore there is far less of a stigma attached to it.”
Indeed, one could argue that the sex tapes actually enhanced the fortunes of Paris Hilton who, so far as I can determine, has no discernible talent and has made a career of being Paris Hilton, Reasonably Attractive Skank.
- Celebrity Sex Tapes and Changing Times
- Celebrity Sex Tape Scandal Roundup
- Kid Rock Sex Video Sales Halted by Judge
- Kendra Wilkinson Sex Tapes Feature Multiple Partners
- Paris Hilton… by the Numbers
- Confirmed: Kim Kardashian Sex Tape – Paris Hilton Pissed!!
- Kendra Wilkinson’s Sex Tape – Available 5/26
- Vivica A. Fox Has a Sex Tape
- Amy Fisher Sex Tape
- Odd Couple Alert: Paris Hilton & Kid Rock [bleh]
- The Biggest Movie Rip Offs
- Steven Slater In-Flight Meltdown
- Karissa & Kristina Shannon Kiss Each Other – Photo
- Whores On Parade & Links To Hollywood
- Khloe Kardashian & Lamar Odom To Unveil Unisex Fragrance
- Kelly Brook Playboy Shoot
- Justin Bieber Stops Flying Water Bottle With His Head
- Mia Farrow Disputes ‘Blood Diamond’ Claim
- Rod Stewart and Wife Expecting Another Baby
- Jodie Fisher Implicated In HP CEO Scandal (Photos)
- co.mments - Recently added conversations
- Do Nude Photo Layouts Help Celebrity Careers? linked with Gone Hollywood
- Pamela Anderson Looking for Sperm Donor linked with Gone Hollywood
- Chyna Sex Tape Picture :: Chyna Sex Tape Preview
Comments are Closed