Elvis Presley has been dead for thirty years. But he’s still making more money than anyone likely reading this.
Just because you are dead, it does not mean you can’t stage a comeback. Web site Forbes.com (www.forbes.com) said on Tuesday that Elvis Presley regained the top spot on its list of the highest-earning dead celebrities, ousting Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain who had beaten him last year.
Elvis shimmied his way back atop the seventh annual list of 13 top-earning legends that he had ruled since its inception, with estimated earnings of about $49 million in the year ending this month. The rise from $42 million last year comes after CKX Entertainment, which bought part of his estate from daughter Lisa Marie Presley, embarked on a mission to renew interest in the late singer and actor.
Forbes.com said in a statement that the top 13 — who generated massive amounts of merchandising revenue — grossed a combined $232 million in the year.
In second place came Beatle John Lennon, who was murdered in New York in 1980 at the age of 40. He earned $44 million while the creator of Peanuts comic strip, Charles M. Schulz, took the third slot with earnings of $35 million.
Cobain was one of four who fell off this year’s ranking. He debuted on the list in first place last year after his widow, Courtney Love, sold part of his song catalog for a reported $50 million.
Rounding out the top five on this year’s list were George Harrison from the Beatles, who died in 2001, with $22 million, and German-born physicist Albert Einstein with $18 million. Einstein has become a key trademark in child education due to the Disney-owned Baby Einstein brand of videos and toys.
Many members of these lists are one-year wonders, who get on there because a movie came out, their estate was sold, or something similar. Presley and Lennon, though, are mainstays who continue to sell massive numbers of records decades after their passing.
Source: Elvis regains crown as top-earning dead celebrity (Reuters)
- Dead Elvis Made $49 Million Last Year
- Highest Paid in Hollywood
- John Lennon Has Been Forgiven by The Vatican
- Angelina Jolie & Jennifer Aniston – Top Earning Actresses
- Top 10 Actresses That Bring In Money
- Sandra Bullock Hollywood’s Highest-Paid Actress
- Gisele Bundchen World’s Richest Model
- Merv Griffin Dies at 82
- Forbes Power List
- Michael Jackson Earns $1 Billion Since He Died
- The Biggest Movie Rip Offs
- Steven Slater In-Flight Meltdown
- Karissa & Kristina Shannon Kiss Each Other – Photo
- Whores On Parade & Links To Hollywood
- Khloe Kardashian & Lamar Odom To Unveil Unisex Fragrance
- Kelly Brook Playboy Shoot
- Justin Bieber Stops Flying Water Bottle With His Head
- Mia Farrow Disputes ‘Blood Diamond’ Claim
- Rod Stewart and Wife Expecting Another Baby
- Jodie Fisher Implicated In HP CEO Scandal (Photos)
Comments are Closed