Gilbert Gottfried made his return to Twitter last night for the first time after he got his ass fired by Aflac Inc over his ridiculous jokes about the Tsuanmi in Japan and he dished out an apology. Here is what he had to say for himself:
“I sincerely apologize to anyone who was offended by my attempt at humor regarding the tragedy in Japan. I meant no disrespect, and my thoughts are with the victims and their families.”
What do you think, is this apology acceptable or is he just trying to save his ass from even more backlash that he received on Twitter?
As with every disaster that happens the amount of douchebags that come out of the wood works and show themselves off for what they are – a douchebag, just like 50 Cent did with his tweets and Gilbert Gottfried also with his tweets. Because of these people Vanity Fair have come up with a list of the 5 most appalling videos that came out after the Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan. Here they are:
1. Meet YouTube user tamtampamela. She believes that “God shook the country of Japan, he literally grabbed the country by the shoulders and said, ‘Hey, look, I’m here!’” [“Literally.”—Ed.] She continues, “Oh, it’s just so amazing to see how God can just answer prayers like this.”
2. Are you there, God? It’s us, VF Daily. If we could have one prayer answered, it would be to see this lady sing about Revelation 21:8 (“the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur”) to the tune of “Baa, Baa, Blacksheep,” literally. Your basic earthquake-is-a-sign-from-God response plus one orange T-shirt.
3. If Godzilla could destroy anything it’d be this video. Well, technically it would be the first video in the list, but he would get to this one, too.
4. Be sure to listen to this with your earphones on, please. “American manners,” O.K.? This lady has the following things to say about “Asians in the library”: “I swear, they’re going through their whole families, just checking on everybody from the tsunami thing—I mean, I know, O.K., that sounds horrible, like, I feel bad for all people affected by the tsunami, but if you’re gonna go call your address book, you might as well go outside because if something is wrong, you might really freak out if you’re in the library and everyone’s quiet.”
5. And now, a quick reprieve from the horrors of the four previous videos: the requisite (but brilliant) parodic defense of the library screed. “I mean, you see the thing that I just don’t get: I mean like, she said, ‘I want no one to take offense to this.’”
One word – douchebags.
source: The Most Appalling Video Responses to the Earthquake in Japan [Vanity Fair]
Gilbert Gottfried has joined 50 Cent by landing in hot water after making some sick jokes about the Tsuanmi in Japan, but Gilbert has gone one step further and not only received backlash but he has now been fired by Aflac Inc.
Gilbert has been the voice of Aflac Inc’s iconic duck since 2000 but yesterday they handed him his pink slip after he made a series of bad jokes about Japan, which is apparently Aflac’s most important market. Here is some of his Tweets:
“Japan is really advanced. They don’t go to the beach. The beach comes to them” and “I just split up with my girlfriend, but like the Japanese say, ‘they’ll be another one floating by any minute now’” and “I fucked a girl in japan. She screamed ‘I feel the earth move and I’m getting wet.’”
All of the Tweets have since been deleted and he hasn’t updated his account since Sunday but either way Aflac weren’t laughing at these jokes and fired his ass, announced they are holding a nationwide casting call to replace him and are also donating $100 million to disaster relief. They also released a statement saying:
“Gilbert’s recent comments about the crisis in Japan were lacking in humor and certainly do not represent the thoughts and feelings of anyone at Aflac. There is no place for anything but compassion and concern during these difficult times.”
Considering that 75% of Aflac’s business comes from Japan, this is really the only move that they could make isn’t it? What a dumb ass. Speaking of jokes, I’m sick of hearing them and none of them make me laugh.